Leg cramps is the term used in reference to a state where a muscle of the leg gets contracted, thereby causing pain and uneasiness. Though leg cramps can affect any person, it occurs more in elderly people. The calf muscle, hamstring and quadriceps are the areas most susceptible to leg cramps. Some of the causes for leg cramps are dehydration, rigorous exercises, muscle fatigue due to overexertion, overweight, fluid imbalances, diminished blood supply and nerve abnormalities. Severe leg pain, muscle tenderness and inability to move the leg are some of the symptoms seen when a person is suffering from leg cramps. In the following lines, we have provided the home remedies for treating leg cramps.
Read more on Home Remedies for Leg Pain and Vitamin Benefits and Herbal Home Remedies
Causes of Leg Cramps
1. Doing an unusual or different exercise
3. Diminished blood supply
4. Electrolyte, hormonal or fluid imbalances
5. Excess weight
6. Leg injury
7. Low blood calcium
8. Muscle fatigue, due to overexertion
9. Nerve abnormalities
10. Muscle diseases
12. Rigorous exercises
Side effects of certain medicines
Symptoms Of Leg Cramps
1. Severe leg pain
2. Muscle tenderness
3. Inability to move the leg till the time the cramp lasts
Home Remedies for Leg Cramps
1. A glass of lukewarm milk before going to bed is a simple, yet effective way to treat the leg cramps.
2. Prepare chamomile tea and have it at least 5 times a day, for about 2 weeks. For every cup of water, take two or three teaspoons of chamomile flower. Bring the water to a boil and let the flower steep in it for a few minutes. Strain, add sugar or honey, and drink warm.
3. A hot shower before going to bed is effective in curing leg cramps. Pour some hot water on the painful area as well.
4. While you are on bed, stretch the legs as far as you can and keep it in the same position for half an hour. While standing, push your heel onto the floor and bend your toes upwards. This is a good way to treat leg cramps.
5. For people who often face the problem of leg cramps, press your toes against the wall and stretch the calf muscles. Repeat this 15-20 times.
6. A cup of red raspberry leaf tea, consumed in the morning and evening, is good for relieving a person suffering from leg cramps. Bring a cup of water to a boil and add a tsp red raspberry tea to it. Let it steep for a few minutes, strain and drink when still warm.
7. Mix one tbsp of calcium lactate, one tsp of apple cider vinegar and one tsp of honey in half a glass of lukewarm water. Have this once a day. It will be helpful in treating leg cramps.
8. Using hot water bottle on the affected area is also beneficial in treating and curing cramps.
9. Consume 2-3 bananas per day, as it increases the potassium intake in the body, thereby relieving a person from cramps.
10. Having 2 tsp of honey per day is helpful in preventing leg cramps.
11. Increase the intake of foods rich in calcium, potassium and magnesium daily.
12. Massaging the affected area with essential oils, like lavender oil and rosemary oil and eucalyptus oil. After massaging, wrap the affected area with a towel dipped in hot water.