Discomfort and pain caused by involuntary contraction of leg muscles is known as leg cramps. It can be caused due to nerve abnormalities, dehydration, overweight, rigorous exercises, fluid imbalances, muscle fatigue and diminished blood supply. Some of the common symptoms of leg cramps are inability to move leg, muscle tenderness and severe pain in the legs while sitting, lying down or walking.
There are several home remedies for leg cramps which are easy to try and simple to use within the comforts of your home. Some of the popular home remedies are:
1. One of the simplest home remedies is to drink a glass of milk before going to sleep on daily basis. This will help in reducing the frequent occurrence of leg pain.
2. Drink plenty of water every day in order to prevent dehydration. You can even consume juice but try to avoid caffeinated drinks and alcohol.
3. Red raspberry-leaf tea is also very effective in treating leg pain. For fourteen days daily drink one cup of red raspberry-leaf tea, one in the morning and one in the night.
4. Chamomile tea is very helpful in treating leg cramps. It helps in reducing muscle pain. All you need to do is drink five cups of chamomile tea on daily basis for the next two weeks.
5. Before you go to bed take a hot shower and let the warm water run on your affected leg. You can even try pouring hot water on your affected leg in order to relax it.
6. You can massage the affected area with essential oils such as rosemary oil, eucalyptus oil and lavender oil. Now take a towel and dip it in a hot water. Squeeze this towel and wrap it on the affected area.
7. Make it a daily habit of consuming two tablespoons of honey in order to prevent leg cramps.
8. Bananas are a rich source of potassium You can eat two to three bananas every day in order to increase the level of potassium in the body. This will be very helpful in treating leg cramps.
9. Take a glass of lukewarm water and add one tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar, calcium lactate and honey in it. Mix it well and drink. Drinking this milk once daily will help in giving relief from the pain.
10. You can apply hot water bottle on the affected area in order to get relief from the cramps.
11. Coconut oil, rumatone gold oil and almond oil are very effective in treating leg pain. You can use any one of these oils. Heat the oil until its warm enough. Massage the affected leg with this warm oil.
12. Daily eating three to four walnuts every morning on empty stomach is also equally beneficial in treating the problem of leg cramps.
13. Tonic water is known to have quinine which is very helpful in giving relief from pain. It is one of the effective home remedies for leg pain.
14. Taking three teaspoons of cramp bark tincture three times in a day is also very effective in preventing leg cramp to happen.
These were some of the effective home remedies for leg cramps which are simple, cost-effective and safe to use.
Read more Home Remedies for Leg Cramps. Also know useful Home Remedies for Kidney Cleansing. Read effective Home Remedies for Kidney Stones.